Relationship View (Desktop)
Relationship View displays items in a grid interface, making it easy to view and edit the relationships between events and entities such as People and Places.
Within Relationship View, event-like items (i.e. those items that form part of the chronological order of events) appear as rows, while entity-like items such as People and Places appear as columns. Relationships between these events and entities are shown at the intersection of the rows and columns.
The Relationship View always shows rows sorted into chronological order.
Relationship View Interface
The image below shows the individual components of the Relationship View.
The components of the interface highlighted in the above image are as follows:
- Column Selector: Click this icon to choose which columns are visible in the Relationship View
- Relationship Header: Shows the entities selected as columns, grouped by the item type.
- Event item rows: Each item in chronological order has a row in the relationship grid.
- Intersections: Relationships are marked at the intersection between rows and columns. Icons indicate the type of relationship that exists in each case (more than one relationship may apply)
- Relationship View Footer: The footer for the relationship view
The above screenshot shows only a single relationship view. However, if two relationship views are stacked one above the other (i.e. if you want to compare lists of items based on two different filters), they will share one Relationship Header when the scrolling lock is turned on. This allows the views to scroll together horizontally, and saves some space on small screens.
Manipulating Items in Relationship View
Adding events (rows)
To add an event in Relationship View, you can either:
- Scroll to the bottom of the view, and click on the Add Event button to insert an event at the end of the chronological order.
- Use the add icon () in the Sidebar, or the Add option under the Item menu to add a new event. The event will be inserted at the location of the currently selected item (or at the end if no item is selected).
To insert items events the Spreadsheet rather than add to the bottom, you can do the following:
- Select the row in the Spreadsheet that you want to insert the new item below
- Use the + button in the sidebar, or the associated keyboard shortcuts, to create a new event
- A new event will be inserted immediately under the previously selected item.
- Focus should move to the label cell of the new item, so you can immediately type the new item label
- If you wish to insert another event below this new one, repeat steps 2 and 3
Adding entities (columns)
To add an entity in Relationship View, click on the + Create XXX button within any relationship header group, and type a new name for that entity.
Relationship View allows you to drag rows into a new position by clicking and dragging on the item label.
As you drag the item within the Relationship View, a blue drop indicator will be shown to highlight where the item will be dropped if you release the mouse.
A single blue line indicates that the item will be dropped between the items immediately above and below the line:
A highlighted row indicates the the item will be dropped inside the target item, making the dragged item a child of the target item:
Setting Item Relationships
Click on any intersection between a row and a column to see a popup list of all available relationships that can exist between those two items:
Clicking on each item in the list will add or remove a relationship of the chosen type.
Expanding and Collapsing Parent Items
When an item has children (see Item Hierarchies), this will be indicated with an arrow icon ( ) immediately to the left of the Item label. Clicking on this icon will toggle the parent item to show or hide all of its children.
When expanded, the label for each item will be indented slightly to indicate its nesting underneath the parent item:
Showing and hiding columns
You can add or remove visible entity columns by clicking on Choose Columns in the top left corner of the Relationship View.
This opens a list of all appropriate entities that can act as columns within relationship view:
Use the checkbox alongside the Item Type label to show or hide all columns of that type at once, or expand the list to select individual entities that you wish to view.
You can also use the Add New button alongside each item type to add a new item of that type and immediately show it as a column.
Adjusting View Settings
When a Relationship View is active, the footer will show numerous controls to alter the display settings of the Relationship View.
|Card Details: Choose which properties are visible within each item card|
|100%||Visual Scale: Change an optical scale across Work Views, making content visually larger or smaller. At smaller values, you will be able to see the layout of more content, but it may become difficult to read.|